[Beowulf] What services do you run on your cluster nodes?

Bernard Li bernard at vanhpc.org
Mon Sep 22 15:44:11 PDT 2008

Hi Eric:

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Eric Thibodeau <kyron at neuralbs.com> wrote:

> Everything is turned off and, most of the time, a quick glance at ganglia
> brings out problems. Simple scripts can be built to perform cyclic checks on
> the nodes and would be less disruptive IMHO.

Ganglia collects metrics from hosts and trends them for the user.
Most of these metrics need to be collected from the host itself (CPU,
memory, load, etc.).

Besides, the footprint of Ganglia is very little.  I have yet heard of
a user complaining that Ganglia uses too much resources.  Of course,
YMMV if you need every last CPU/memory for your job, then you should
turn everything off at the cost of managing a blackbox.

Cheers,

Bernard