[Beowulf] MS Cray

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 17 10:18:54 PDT 2008

From: John Hearns [mailto:hearnsj at googlemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:40 AM
To: Lux, James P; beowulf at beowulf.org
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] MS Cray
        .  When mainframes first entered the halls of academe, I'm sure the same sort of discussions arose.  Heck, it's why computers like the PDP-8 were invented.

        Jim

Just let me correct you there. Surely PDP-8s were calculators or Data Processing whatchamacallits,
and emphatically NOT Computer Systems.
(A history lesson is called for here - I cannot remember the exact terminology which allowed PDPs to be sold to individual labs and departments)

--Sort of like when we buy PCs for the lab, they're "instrument controllers"..

Jim