[Beowulf] MS Cray

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Sep 17 09:24:16 PDT 2008

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 at 8:22am, Gerry Creager wrote

> Gus Correa wrote:
>>
>> Here is the link to the  CX1 on the Cray web site:
>>
>> http://www.cray.com/products/CX1.aspx
>>
>> You need MS Explorer to customize/price it.
>
> I just knew you had to be wrong, but sure enough, I can't see config options.
> It's a show stopper for me.  If I need IE to buy the system, it's not likely
> to happen until A) there's an IE that runs natively on *nix, and B) it
> doesn't have the myriad problems associated with IE in the past.

Hrm -- WORKSFORME using FF3 on Fedora 9.  Notably, Cray is happy to sell
the CX1 to you sans OS.  W2K8 is a $3752 option (at least in my sample
config with 8 compute blades).  As was noted, the Linux they suggest is
"Red Hat Linux", by which one would assume they mean RHEL (why does
everybody make that mistake -- there hasn't been a "Red Hat Linux" since
RH9 (shudder)).

Also, as one would expect, the hardware premium is hefty.  A compute blade
with dual Xeon E5462s, 16GB RAM (8x2GB), and an 80GB HDD is $6656.
Without even trying too hard I can get a similarly configured 1U node for
$4400.  So that's a 50% markup on nodes, not to mention the almost $9K for
the chassis.  Of course, that's before any discounts.

Maybe it's my miserly ways, but I just don't see the value proposition
here...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin