[Beowulf] Re: GPU boards and cluster servers.

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Sep 5 08:29:02 PDT 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Gerry Creager wrote:

> At $6k US, and requiring me to get Vista, I'd rather build a system starting
> with, e.g., an Asus motherboard.  I save one-third the price and I don't have
> to file the environmental impact statement on the flawed OS.  I also get NICs
> I can easily set to accommodate Jumbo Frames.

If you talk to a Dell rep, you can ALMOST invariably get any
server-class system they sell without an operating system or with Linux
installed, especially if you are ordering in quantity.

Just FYI -- otherwise I don't disagree with anything you said,
especially Vista of Evil.  Although hey, it runs great on 4 GB and up
systems, at least if you don't run large applications on it... or so I'm
told.

    rgb