[Beowulf] Security issues

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Oct 24 04:17:25 PDT 2008

On 24 Oct 2008, at 11:16 am, Jon Aquilina wrote:

>>> my response
>
> Im not goign to turn this into a distro war everyone is entitled to
> their
> opinions and preferences. that is not the problem packaing or
> repackaing
> everything.
>
> are there any debian based distros out there?

You don't really need to make a new derived distro - newer releases of
Ubuntu and/or Debian, in particular, have a lot of cluster-related
gubbins which you can install; here's a sample:

Monitoring:

ganglia

Running commands everywhere:

dsh
clusterssh

Cluster filesystems:

gluster
lustre 1.6 client
ocfs2
cman

Configuration management:

cfengine

Hands-free provisioning:

FAI (Fully Automated Install)

Those are just the bits and pieces which I either use now or am
looking at.  I've also noted quite a few bits of HEP community stuff
in there; cernlib, for example, and a very large number of
bioinformatics codes (which is why I'm using Ubuntu as a platform for
providing Bioinformatics training workshops worldwide for the Wellcome
Trust; I just create a re-mixed Xubuntu LiveCD with the bioinformatics
packages on it required for the particular course, and the students
can take the CD home with them afterwards and carry on working on
their own machine).  We're using this LiveCD for the first time in
Bangkok in two weeks' time.

Regards,

Tim