[Beowulf] Active directory with Linux

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Oct 23 09:59:20 PDT 2008

On 23 Oct 2008, at 4:59 pm, John Hearns wrote:

> I have to confess my Google skills have failed me.
> If I'm not wrong, there was a recent discussion in these parts re.
> using
> Active Directory
> with Linux. I think there was a commercial product mentioned, which
> was
> quite good.
> Can anyone remind me please?

If you just want to authenticate against AD, you don't need anything
commercial at all.  You can just configure PAM on your Linux boxes to
authenticate against AD, and configure your nsswitch.conf to obtain
its information from AD's LDAP service.  We've demonstrated we can do
it here but we haven't actually pushed it out on all of our boxes yet,
mainly for political reasons.

Some versions of Linux even have the runes built-in, so you don't have
to do it by hand; SLES10, for example.  You can just tell YaST2 to
join the AD domain, and that's that, I believe.

Tim