[Beowulf] Getting started on parallelization

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 16 17:55:57 PST 2008

Hi Cesar,

Before doing the hard work of parallellization, do some big efforts
of figuring out which methods are there
to speedup your calculation in algorithmic manner.

Find all software that's doing what you are after and find experts
there and talk to the guys;
the reality is in every world of computation that what you find on the
net is just enough for a beginners level usually; only when really
digging hard you can find the
very best, if that's at the net somewhere anyway; even when you see
source code of something that performs well,
the theories behind it and tiny details implemented you might miss
not knowing the reasons behind the choices taken.

In general a lot of algorithms out of the past get total hammered
down by newer ones which have total other parallel
capabilities usually (much harder to parallellize sometimes) and
eating up a lot more RAM usual;
publications simply are never accurate as the guys can make money
with something that works better, and most publications get done by
persons who have an expertise grade of just 4 years, which usually is
not even enough to know all existing
public theory. Let alone that those who make money will give away
their secrets/ideas
nor get paid for publishing ideas.

There is a lot known out there.

Vincent

p.s. how does that feel being a Colombian getting more trade access
to USA?