[Beowulf] Re: ECC support on motherboards?

Lombard, David N dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Tue May 27 07:06:28 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 03:36:24PM +0100, Kozin, I (Igor) wrote:

> > b) Laptops.  I'd REALLY like a flash-driven laptop.
>
> Who wouldn't? But what's the typical lifespan of flash memory?

Lifespan is measured in write cycles, and, as you would expect, depends
on the memory technology.  Wear leveling via remapping is used to extend
the life so that a constant update, say to a single sector, doesn't
actually constantly write to the same block.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.