[Beowulf] Re: ECC support on motherboards?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed May 21 13:00:08 PDT 2008

Robert G. Brown wrote:

>>> Who wouldn't? But what's the typical lifespan of flash memory?
>>
>> Current SSDs claim >1 Mh MTBF, largely due to wear-leveling.
>
> A Mh is, lessee, 100 years?  So one failure per hundred systems per
> year?  Or if it is truly due to wear, perhaps it is zero failures per
> hundred systems for 50 years, then an increasing failure rate out to
> 100+?
>
> If it is wear, however, lifetimes may depend on usage, and using it as a
> root fs and/or home directory may significantly shorten lifetime.

given a 300,000 cycle rated life span, a solid wear-leveling algorithm,
and a controller that groups and shadows incomplete writes you can write
to a 16GB flash drive at 20MB/s for 9 years before it exceeding it's
warranted cycle life.

It used to be fairly trivial to exercise a given block until it failed,
but by in large that won't happen anymore.