[Beowulf] Re: ECC support on motherboards?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue May 20 18:50:13 PDT 2008

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Very interesting article, but 1 GB is still a bit tight.  The really
> interesting times coming are in one year, when the motherboards comes
> with linux in 2 or even 4 GB flash.  In one GB you can load a

... and until then we use CF->SATA converters and boot from 4 GB flash
cards.  We have built working 4GB flash images of Ubuntu, Suse,
Openfiler, and one of the RHELs.

Mind you, creating such a thing is a non-trivial exercise, especially
for RHEL and RHEL like systems.

This said, this is one of the ways we deliver OSes for JackRabbit.

> bootstrapper, and/or a fairly sparsely equipped version of linux.  GUI
> sure, but still far from a kitchen sink installation that won't need
> enhancing with more packages to be individually useable and "happy".  In
> 4 GB you can load a fully functional GUI version of linux complete with
> e.g.  Open Office, X, and lots of bells and whistles, and if you install

You can do lots of things in 4GB.

[...]

> I have some direct experience with embedded Windows, and it is crap.  It
> is partly DELIBERATE crap, as MS is in competition with itself and

Windows mobile ... I agree, it is not something good.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com