[Beowulf] TOE on Linux?

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Tue May 20 11:11:51 PDT 2008

John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 18:42 -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:
>
>>> 1. Is having 10 GbE and Inifiniband in the same cluster overkill, or at
>>> least unorthodox?  This cluster will be used by a variety of users
>>>
>> I would say so - if you've got IB, why add another interface?
>> I'm not suggesting getting rid of gigabit, since its cost is
>> near-zero and ethernet _is_ the network.  OTOH, if there were a
>> form of ethernet that competed with IB in price/latency/bandwidth,
>> there would be no reason to go IB.
>>
> I back up what Mark says.
>
> If you want to use 10Gig, put a 10Gig interface in your NFS server and
> choose a switch with a suitable 10Gig port (or ports) plus 1gig ports.
> Use the existing onboard 1gig interfaces on your nodes for the NFS
> traffic.
> You don't say what size, in number of compute nodes, your cluster will
> be. It is very simplistic to think of simply throwing bandwidth at an
> NFS solution and thinking this will solve everything - it won't.
> Do you REALLY expect to saturate 1gig interfaces?

The NFS Server will be a NetApp product with a 10 Gb interface, and our
switches will also have 10 GbE ports. The cluster will be 48-64 nodes.
No, I do not exepct to saturate the 1 Gb interfaces. I was not the one
who spec'd the system, but I will be responsible for configuring and
supporting it.

Prentice