[Beowulf] Computation on the head node

Vlad Manea vlad at geociencias.unam.mx
Sat May 17 13:41:21 PDT 2008

Thanks Perry,

I would probably go with a separate file server.
I have seen a lot of NAS on the market recently (i.e. Netgear ReadyNAS
NV+ 4Tb X-RAID)
and I am wandering if they might be a good/bad choice (the price is
appealing...).
On the other hand I do not want to see all may cluster idle waiting for
the file server.
The w/r rate transfer for these NAS is ~30-40 MB/sec which probably is a
modest one.

Do you have any recommendations for the file server? I think I need lots
of RAM and fast
disks. Since SCSI are expensive, are SATA disks OK? Also, can I take the
advantage of multiple
LAN ports on the file server? (I see the Dell PowerEdge SC1435 can
handle 4 NICs for example.)

Since all my machines are from
DELL maybe I can get a discount from them if I would go buying one file
server.

Thanks,
Vlad

--