[Beowulf] TOE on Linux?

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Wed May 14 12:24:09 PDT 2008

Hi Prentice,

Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> Does anyone know of any network cards/drivers that support TOE (TCP
> Offload Engine) for Linux? A hardware vendor just told me that Linux
> does not support the TOE features of *any* network card.
>
> Given Linux's strong presence in HPC and the value of having TOE in a
> cluster, I find that hard to believe.

I don't know if TOE is equal to TSO, if not, please stop reading here.

# ethtool -k eth1
Offload parameters for eth1:
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on
tcp segmentation offload: on
udp fragmentation offload: off
generic segmentation offload: off

At least ethtool *claims* that this is enabled, however I don't know
direct way to verify that.

Network card (e1000) is
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 631xESB/632xESB DPT LAN
Controller Copper (rev 01)
04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 631xESB/632xESB DPT LAN
Controller Copper (rev 01)

HTH

Carsten