[Beowulf] Re: Purdue Supercomputer

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun May 11 13:45:46 PDT 2008

Karen Shaeffer wrote:

> Hi Joel,
> Yes, but a separate and distinct power distribution for that +5 volt
> supply will then need to be implemented on the system board to support
> a full IPMI implementation residing on the system board. That was my
> point. You are confusing power source with implemented PCB power
> distribution.

Hi Karen

   I haven't seen IPMI cards that get their power from any other place
than the motherboard slot.  There may be some that have a separate
supply, but I haven't run across them.  That is, as long as the power
supply is "on", the main system power does not need to be, and the IPMI
is powered over a similar bus to that which powers the motherboard
network cards.

   I don't think Joel was confused on this.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO