[Beowulf] "Code" vs. "Codes"

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Mar 31 15:45:42 PDT 2008

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Geoff Galitz wrote:

I would have used this one:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_code

which I think is perhaps more accurate.  "Computer code" has been a
synonym for "program" forever -- at least since the 60's or 70's -- and
not just in HPC.  I can't even remember a time when I didn't use it or
short versions such as code or codes.

Also note the term "codesmith" as a synonym for "programmer", although
alas Google shows that the terms has been eaten alive by marketing
droids.  Some of these terms are indeed used mostly by the 1337, but
hardly (as alleged by the references below) only the "scientific
computing community".  I'd say the general programming community, with
some perhaps more likely to use it than others.

    rgb

Duke University Physics Dept, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Web: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb