[Beowulf] visualization machine

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Mon Mar 31 06:14:28 PDT 2008

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 01:40:57PM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:
>
>> I haven't had problems with either nv or nvidia drivers.
>
> nvidia is somewhat annoying to update to new versions or new kernels.

This is easily fixed if you use HP's rpm of the drivers, which includes
the /etc/init.d/nvconfig script which  detects if the there is a driver
module for the current version at boot time. If not, it downloads or
compiles it.  Or, you can use Dell's DKMS system, which uses a different
approach to solve the same method.

Both of these systems will work on non-HP or non-Dell systems, too.

I used the HP system for 3.5 years at a previous employer without a
single hiccup. I'm using the Dell DKMS method, since November, and I
have no complaints.

Prentice