[Beowulf] Confused over the term cluster

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Sun Mar 30 12:27:39 PDT 2008

My short operational definition of a cluster is collection of
independent systems (motherboards) that communicate
over a private network/interconnect, none of which
are dependent on the other for operating, with
excetion of the head/master/gateway node.

Under this definition, a multi-core node is not a cluster
nor is any design whose operation is dependent
upon shared memory between nodes, even though the
nodes are separate systems. Of course this is my
definition.

BTW, I believe the following is also used:

N=nodes
P=cores/processors per node

P>=N = cluster
N<P = constellation