[Beowulf] a postdoc in Canada

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Mar 28 07:38:17 PDT 2008

Jim Lux wrote:
> Quoting Glen Beane <glen.beane at jax.org>, on Fri 28 Mar 2008 07:00:15 AM
> PDT:
>

>> so if you take this post doc in Canada not only will you put up with a
>> slave wage, but you'll have to make more trips to Tim Horton's for your
>> caffeine fix
>
> At that wage, you're going to be making hot beverages from the bark you
> strip from trees on campus, heated over a fire made from the wood from
> those trees.  Coffee would be something you hope to drink if you ever
> get funded to go to a conference where it's provided free.

I seem to remember some of my fellow students looking at how to avoid
buying food by going to the assorted colloquium on campus, and eating
(and stashing) the food.  Sadly, the food they put out was high fat/high
sugar, low nutritional value, which led to badly malnourished graduate
students ... who were twitching badly from all the free (bad) coffee ...

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com