[Beowulf] Strange Opteron 2350 performance: Gaussian-03

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Sat Jun 28 09:23:42 PDT 2008

In message from "Li, Bo" <libo at buaa.edu.cn> (Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:07:07
+0800):
>Hello,
>I am afraid there must be something wrong with your experiment.
>How did you get the performance? Was your DFT codes running in
>parallel? Any optimization involved?

I was afraid the same, but the results are reproduced twice.

As I wrote in my message:

- there were ONE CORE (one CPU for Opteron 246) runs
- the optimization was performed for OLD Opteron 246 (because
Gaussian, Inc do not propose binaries optimized specially for
Barcelona)

DFT test397 (as any other DFT) is parallelized well, and on Opteron
246 it gives 1.9 times speedup on 2 CPUs. But I didn't run 2-cores
parallelized job for Opteron 2350: I was stressed by results obtained
for 1 core.

>In most of my test, K8L or K10 can beat old opteron at the same
>frequency with about 20% improvement.

Sorry, do you have this on Gaussian-03 and for DFT in particular ? Did
you compile it on K10 using target=barcelona (i.e. optimized for
barcelona) ?

Yours
Mikhail