[Beowulf] Again about NUMA (numactl and taskset)

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 24 14:28:46 PDT 2008

What would interest me is if you describe how you get your information
on how instructions pair and what weak sequences are at the processor.

Like for example the by  now old AMD K8 used to have the feature that
if you do an
integer multiplication, that the first and last cycle of the latency,
it blocks all other execution units.

Besides that this still kicks butt compared to intel's implementation
of integer multiplication
(proof of this statement: Most of GMP's functions are integer
multiplication dominated and AMD k8 already
murders core2 as a result of that), this is total crucial to know
when building a compiler.

Did this information already sit in Pathscales database of "processor
behaviour"?

If so, where did you get the knowledge?

Vincent