[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists"

Franz Marini franz.marini at mi.infn.it
Mon Jun 23 03:24:20 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 08:33 -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> There is a whole literature on this -- apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic
> views of nuclear war.  On The Beach.  Five Signs from Ruby.  A Boy and
> his Dog.  Damnation Alley.  Mad Max.  Daybreak, 2024.  The Day After.
> One of my favorites:  A Canticle for Liebowitz.  I read 'em, or watched
> 'em, all.

  I would like to add to that list a somewhat obscure BBC television movie
from 1984, Threads, which is, easily, the most scaring and horrifying play
I've ever watched, much more than The Day After. No good ending in this one.
No hope. No future. The last scene is downright nightmare-inspiring.

  By the way, it does depict a nuclear winter. As far as I know, no other
post nuclear war movie ever did.

  I suggest everyone get hold of a copy (be careful, there are two versions
around, one reedited and cut, and another one, the DVD one, uncut, get this
one) and watch it.

F.

Franz Marini
Prof. R. A. Broglia Theoretical Physics of Nuclei,
      Atomic Clusters and Proteins Research Group
Dept. of Physics, University of Milan, Italy.
email : franz.marini at mi.infn.it
phone : +39 02 50317226