[Beowulf] NVIDIA GPUs, CUDA, MD5, and "hobbyists"

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 09:52:26 PDT 2008

I dug up this pdf from Nvidia:
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/43395/tesla_product_overview_dec.pdf
Since I can't imagine coding a graphics card while it serves my X :-) I
supposed one might put the PCIE card in a box with a cheap SVGA for the
least-cost  CUDA experiment (one GPU, 128 "thread processors" per GPU). The
deskside is 2 GPU with 3 GB, the rackable is 4 GPU with 6 GB; they have PCIE
adapter cards to talk to your workstation.

I think one plan might be like the GraPE (Gravity Pipe); maybe one of the
rackables alternating with a CPU MB acting as net host and fileserver, so
each (2-board) node has 4 GPU for array computing.
Peter

P.S. incidentally, while I was browsing Nvidia, I spec'd out a fantasy
gaming rig. $23K, 256GB of solid state "disk", 3x 1GB video cards, 180W just
to liquid-cool the CPU :-) Maybe next year.