[Beowulf] OT: LTO Ultrium (3) throughput?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 18 18:02:26 PDT 2008

Hi Dave,

Probably the i/o is  your limiting factor.
Using raid10 or something?

Ignore that factor 2 compression by the way, that's just marketing
paper.

My LTO-2 gets about 28MB/s uncompressed streamspeed, for compressed
files
  (7-zip is far superior to anything else currently under linux).
Usually i also store longterm data with 10% par2 data
(free linux tool is there for it as well),  so that i can recover bit
errors later on.

That 28MB/s is at least what i observe, could be tad optimistic :)

The initial problems i had also with streamspeed and also reading back
was all software based. A lot of backup software was real ugly bad
simply.

What mattered at the raid10 array also was the file system used and how
far loaded it already was. Reading files from a raid10 is not
necessarily fast.

Harddrives are relative fast when reading/writing blocks of 128-512KB
or so,
whereas filesystems use far smaller blocksizes to store in reality.

Very bad to stream a couple of hundreds of GB to tape.

The software used is important. Default backup software was dubious
in my case
and the biggest reason for problems. After that was fixed, the i/o
speed is a problem
when storing tiny files at tape.

But well i'm a total layman with backups. Perhaps you already figured
out your problem.

Vincent