[Beowulf] Barcelona hardware error: how to detect

Jason Clinton jclinton at advancedclustering.com
Thu Jun 5 10:46:54 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Mikhail Kuzminsky <kus at free.net> wrote:

> In message from Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca> (Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:57:28
> -0400 (EDT)):
>
>> To be more exact, Rev. B2 of Opteron 2350 - is it for CPU stepping w/error
>>> or w/o error ?
>>>

>> AMD, like Intel, does a reasonable job of disclosing such info:
>>

>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/41322.PDF
>>
>> the well-known problem is erattum 298, I think, and fixed in B3.
>>

> Yes, this AMD errata document says that in B3 revision the error "will be
> fixed". I heard that new CPUs w/o TLB+L3 error are shipped now,
> but are this CPUs really B3 or may be have some more new release ?

Yes, what are currently shipping from AMD are B3 revision processors. The
TLB-look-aside problem is fixed.

There are other less-critical problems with B3, however. Specifically,
power-related compatibility issues with various motherboards due to
(according to the motherboard manufacturers) AMD changing the TDP late in
the release process. I can't give any specific names or models that we know
have problems, however. I can say that everyone involved is working on a
resolution--usually through PCB revisions of the motherboards. A number of
1U power supplies that have previously worked with all Intel and AMD
solutions are now insufficient, as well, due to 12V limitations. B3 pulls a
*lot* of power.