[Beowulf] reboot without passing through BIOS?

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jul 31 03:33:19 PDT 2008

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, David Mathog wrote:

> If one were to build nodes without ECC memory

Some years ago when I have done this, I have also instituted a
schedule of running memory tests every several weeks-months. The time
taken by these tests has made the BIOS loading time insignificant...
if time was your main reason for this question.

> Is there a way to configure a machine to reboot by having the OS
> pass control directly to the boot loader, and so skip the BIOS?

If your mainboard supports LinuxBIOS/coreboot, you could run that
instead.

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8869/8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8868/8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de