[Beowulf] Building new cluster - estimate

Nifty niftyompi Mitch niftyompi at niftyegg.com
Tue Jul 29 16:51:21 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 09:16:11AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 01:52 -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:
>

> > > 2. reasonably fast interconnect (IB SDR 10Gb/s would suffice our
> > > computational needs (running LAMMPs molecular dynamics and VASP DFT codes)
> > > 3. 48U rack (preferably with good thermal management)
> >
> > "thermal management"?  servers need cold air in front and unobstructed
> > exhaust.  that means open or mesh front/back (and blanking panels).
> >
> Agreed.  However depending on the location if space is tight you could
> think of an APC rack with the heavy fan exhaust door on th rear, and
> vent the hot air.

Vent the hot air?

Heat management needs attention... if we are just discussing the rack
airflow we are ok but it it involves the air flow of the building some
planning is order.  Venting hot air and pulling in hot Las Vegas daytime
air, cold nighttime Las Vegas air, cold Minnesota winter or hot Minnesota
summer air can be a problem.  Plan on flexability and plan.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Looking for a place to hang my hat.