[Beowulf] Building new cluster - estimate

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Tue Jul 29 04:40:58 PDT 2008

----- "Ivan Oleynik" <iioleynik at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am going to run some tests, but our previous
> experience with 2.0GHz Barcelona was not very
> encouraging.

A couple of points that we've found:

1) Use a mainline kernel, we've found benefit of that
over stock CentOS kernels.

2) Make sure you don't disable ACPI on Barcelona as
the K8 NUMA detection hack doesn't work with K10h and
you'll find the kernel is faking NUMA..

But, as ever, it depends on what your code does - if
it's not memory heavy and is more integer based then
Intel will likely do better.

cheers,
Chris