[Beowulf]Infrastruture planning for small HPC 40/100 gigabyet eyhernet or Infiniband?

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Jul 27 16:37:07 PDT 2008

Er... Fiber's no longer exotic.  I've got Cat6 in the walls of my house
(although I had to do it as Eugen did by drilling holes and pulling with
snakes in this house.  In my garage workshop, I've got electrical in
conduit, Cat6 in conduit and multimode in conduit.  I can add more
conduit and single mode if I need to later, easily, since the conduit
resides on the wall surface (it IS a workshop, after all).

We're designing our next/final house.  I intend to have a data race with
at least 4pr of single mode and multi-mode each, and probably a 4-in
(10cm) conduit for copper data cables: expansion room.  I can handle
most anything I can currently imagine with that infrastructure.  I'll
also stand up wireless for commodity connectivity for visitors, laptops,
game systems, etc.,

I'm leery of quick-splicing fiber for 10GBE but I'm not uncomfortable
with that for gigabit or there abouts.  I can order 4-pr
single/multimode for something around $2/ft these days with
terminations, in custom lengths.  That's a lot of potential bandwidth.
Home-run it to the machine room where my home cluster resides, and where
  the demarc is to the real data connectivity and I should be set.

I've never been afraid to cut holes in walls for connectivity.  I do
find it easier to do before we've got all the junk in.  In our current
house, I got to do 3 days of wiring before we moved in, which helped a
lot.  I got all the cat6 pulled (telco is also on cat6 but on different
runs from data; no, I'm not doing VoIP at home yet but that expansion is
simple here).

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983