[Beowulf] [rpciod] in D state

Henning Fehrmann henning.fehrmann at aei.mpg.de
Fri Jul 25 09:26:24 PDT 2008

Hello everybody,

I observed the following problem:
Usually, on the nodes we have 4 rpciod processes running: [rpciod/0]
- [rpciod/3]
I assume, the squared brackets mean that these are kernel processes.

>From time to time one of them changes in to the
'D' (Uninterruptible sleep) mode.
Once it happens on a particular node it is also impossible to mount any
nfs exports on this node, which seems logical since the nfs client uses
the portmapper.
Stopping the automounter, nfs-common, portmapper did not help.
I was also unable to unload the nfs module.

I tried to debug the portmapper by setting the kernel
parameter sunrpc.nfs_debug to 65536 but this creates a lot of junk.

Has somebody an idea, what might kill the rpciod process and one could
avoid this?

Cheers,
Henning Fehrmann