[Beowulf] Re: Religious wars

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jul 23 15:27:58 PDT 2008

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 July 2008 01:37:16 pm Robert G. Brown wrote:
>> But show me a "programmer" who cannot work without their mouse
>> and a GUI-based text editor, who has to scroll slowly up and down or
>> constantly move hands from the keys to the mouse and back to select
>> even elementary functions, and I'll show you somebody that will take
>> a month to do the work I did in 3 days...
>
> That's exactly why human species will evolve to grow a third hand. We
> *need* it, so we won't have to take our hands off the keyboard to reach
> the mouse. I see no other way.

A Lysenko-Lamarcian heretic, I see.

Sigh.  Well, the way natural selection works, we have to create
selection pressure.  Either humans have to preferentially select three
handed mates (which is a somewhat interesting idea, hmmm, but it seems a
bit unlikely) or we have to go out and start killing people who have
only two hands, ideally before they reproduce.

So ('ching-kachink' as he chambers a round) -- if you want to survive
the very first round of "selection", please raise your hands...;-)

    rgb

P.S. -- maybe genetic engineering is a better option...

> Cheers,

Duke University Physics Dept, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Web: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb