[Beowulf] Green Cluster?

Nathan Moore ntmoore at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 13:01:34 PDT 2008

I think the feature you're looking for is "Wake on LAN",
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

I've wondered similar things - the small cluster I run for a
students/departmental use is generally off, except when I'm teaching
computational physics, or have a student interested in a specific research
project.  It would be nice to be able to "turn on" a few machines (from
home, at 11:30pm) when I have to run something substantial.

If you find a good step-by-step resource describing how to do this, I'd love
to hear about it.

Nathan Moore

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com>
wrote:

> fkruggel at uci.edu writes:
> > I am wondering whether there is any mechanism to automatically
> > power down nodes (e.g., ACPI S3) when idle for some time, and
> > automatically wake up when requested (e.g., by WOL, some cluster
> > scheduler, ssh). I imagine that I could cut down power & cooling
> > on our system by more than 50%. Any hints?
>
> Depending on the motherboard, there are ways to do this. You can do
> wake on network and other tricks. However, if you would really save
> half the power, that implies that your cluster is half idle. If it is
> really half idle, why aren't you simply shutting half of it down?
>
> Perry

Nathan Moore
Assistant Professor, Physics
Winona State University