[Beowulf] A press release

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jul 8 21:21:50 PDT 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Karen Shaeffer wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 11:25:58PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>>
>> Wikipedia has at least one article on the history of linux and talks
>> about the very first distros -- there were two or three that were close
>> to simultaneous, although the VERY first ones were very thin indeed.
>> SLS (later Slackware) was one of the first, but not quite THE first.  It
>> was probably the first "complete" distribution, or close to it.
>>
>> IIRC, SLS was fewer floppies that Slackware, but Slackware was arguably
>> easier to install and worked better (as one would expect).  And it had
>> more, better packages.
>>
>>    rgb
>
> Hi,
>
> OK, here is your linux history buff quiz. We all know Patrick V. was
> the technical spirit of slackware. Who was the original sales and
> marketing wizard for slackware? (smiles ;)

Hmmm, I'm guessing that would be "Bob", wouldn't it?  I mean, a lot of
famous slacker linuxites used it, e.g. Maddog, but if you are smiling,
it has to be him.  And he wasn't smilin' because of Enzyte!

    rgb

Duke University Physics Dept, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Web: http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb