[Beowulf] A press release

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sat Jul 5 02:54:36 PDT 2008

----- "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> ...and it can break the hell out of the elaborate
> dependency system if you go installing random libraries
> in e.g. /usr/local

Oh indeed, our current method is to use:

/usr/local/$package/$version

and then use Modules to let people set up the appropriate
environment for them.

We have also reduced our customisations of users init
scripts to just adding:

module load vpac

and then having the vpac modules load what we recommend
as a default environment.  When we change those settings
we put a new (dated) vpac module in and so let users go
back should they so wish.

cheers,
Chris