[Beowulf] A press release

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Jul 3 13:40:13 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:38:11AM -0400, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> Here's another reason to use tarballs: I have /usr/local shared to all
> my systems with with NFS. If want to install the lastest version of
> firefox, you can just do this:

FWIW, the "rpm way" to do this is (ok, there's more than one way):

* throw the rpm into your local repo, run createrepo
* pdsh yum -y update

Given that 99% of your software is RPMs, having 1% different can be a
pain. As long as you can get rpms, of course. And you can avoid yet
another NFS filesystem -- I have none at my company, which reduces
the monitoring and fixing that I need to do.

I'll also note that properly-configured local perl packages are not
installed in a place where RPMs smash them (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
vs. /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl). And you can find many perl rpms at
rpmforge and atrpms, with accurate dependency info.

-- greg