[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 53, Issue 1

ariel sabiguero yawelak asabigue at fing.edu.uy
Tue Jul 1 13:14:26 PDT 2008

Well Mark, don't give up!
I am not sure which one is your application domain, but if you require
24x7 computation, then you should not be hosting that at home.
On the other hand, if you are not doing real computation and you just
have a testbed at home, maybe for debugging your parallel applications
or something similar, you might be interested in a virtualized solution.
Several years ago, I used to "debug" some neural networks at home, but
training sessions (up to two weeks of training) happened at the university.
I would suggest to do something like that.
You can always scale-down your problem in several phases and save the
complete data-set / problem for THE RUN.

You are not being a heretic there, but suffering energy costs ;-)
In more places that you may believe, useful computing nodes are being
replaced just because of energy costs. Even in some application domains
you can even loose computational power if you move from 4 nodes into a
single quad-core (i.e. memory bandwidth problems). I know it is very
nice to be able to do everything at home.. but maybe before dropping
your studies or working overtime to pay the electricity bill, you might
want to reconsider the fact of collapsing your phisical deploy into a
single virtualized cluster. (or just dispatch several threads/processes
in a single system).
If you collapse into a single system you have only 1 mainboard, one HDD,
one power source, one processor (physically speaking), .... and you can
achieve almost the performance of 4 systems in one, consuming the power
of.... well maybe even less than a single one. I don't want to go into
discussions about performance gain/loose due to the variation of the
hardware architecture. Invest some bucks (if you haven't done that yet)
in a good power source. Efficiency of OEM unbranded power sources is
realy pathetic. may be 45-50% efficiency, while a good power source
might be 75-80% efficient. Use the energy for computing, not for heating
your house.
What I mean is that you could consider just collapsing a complete
"small" cluster into single system. If your application is CPU-bound and
not I/O bound, VMware Server could be an option, as it is free software
(unfortunately not open, even tough some patches can be done on the
drivers). I think it is not possible to publish benchmarking data about
VMware, but I can tell you that in long timescales, the performance you
get in the host OS is similar than the one of the guest OS. There are a
lot of problems related to jitter, from crazy clocks to delays, but if
your application is not sensitive to that, then you are Ok.
Maybe this is not a solution, but you can provide more information
regarding your problem before quitting...

my 2 cents....

ariel