[Beowulf] A press release

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Jul 1 12:53:23 PDT 2008

Mark Hahn wrote:
>> Hmmm.... for me, its all about the kernel.  Thats 90+% of the battle.
>> Some distros use good kernels, some do not.  I won't mention who I
>> think is in the latter category.
>
> I was hoping for some discussion of concrete issues.  for instance,
> I have the impression debian uses something other than sysvinit - does
> that work out well?  is it a problem getting commercial packages
> (pathscale/pgi/intel compilers, gaussian, etc) to run?

Hi Mark:

   We have multiple Ubuntu servers up, and thus far, no major problems
... just a few "translational" gotchas.  We have successfully run pgi,
intel, gaussian, gamess, ... on our Ubuntu units as well as our
RHEL/Centos, Fedora, ...

> the couple debian people I know tend to have more ideological motives

Yeah ... can't escape this.  I like some of the elements of
Ubuntu/Debian better than I do RHEL (the network configuration in Debian
is IMO sane, while in RHEL/Centos/SuSE it is not).  There are some
aspects that are worse (no /etc/profile.d ... so I add that back in by
hand ).

> (which I do NOT impugn, except that I am personally more swayed by
> practical, concrete reasons.)

Building and deploying updated/correct kernels with Ubuntu/Debian is far
easier (the build is much easier/saner) than with SuSE, RHEL, ...  From
a pragmatic view, this is what why we have a slight preference for that.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO