[Beowulf] automount on high ports

Krugger merc4krugger at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 06:27:44 PDT 2008

Hi,

Am I understanding it correctly? You want to have more than 360 mounts
in a single NFS client? And you want that client to be run on a
non-privileged port?

What you are doing doesn't make much sense to me, but you can try
adding the option "lockd.udpport=32768 lockd.tcpport=32768" to your
kernel flags so that the kernel puts the daemon lockd that handles NFS
locks at the port you selected in the client side. I don't understand
how changing the port will help you get more mounts in. I would
actually suggest you review the maximum allowed filehandles for each
process.

You will also need and start services manually, something like:
statd -p 32765 -o 32766
mountd -p 32767

If you use modules you need to reconfigure you modules with "options
lockd nlm_udpport=32768 nlm_tcpport=32768" to your /etc/modules.conf

If I am misunderstanding and you are having a maximum of 360 clients
for your NFS server, then maybe you are having a network problem,
because with NFS3 your clients will lose connection to the server when
de UDP starts losing packets due to heavy I/O from the calculations if
both happen on the same network. Maybe NFS v4 might help with TCP
connections or/and some sort of shaping to make sure there is enough
bandwith reservered for NFS to operate properly.

Notice that all have differant ports 32765,32766,32767,32768

Krugger