[Beowulf] Opinions of Hyper-threading?

Geoff Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 12:47:58 PST 2008

Bill Broadley wrote:
> I believe it's actually simultaneous, instructions from 2 different
> processes can run in the same cycle against 2 different register files.
>
> Other chips have vertical multithreading where only 1 process runs in
> any given cycle.

Multiple threads residing in any particular stage of execution at any
particular time. If one thread stalls, the processor can proceed with
execution on the other thread.

Somewhat outside the bounds of this list, but would an in order
processor like Power 6 derive more benefit from SMT?

--
Geoffrey D. Jacobs