[Beowulf] High Performance SSH/SCP

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Feb 15 14:03:08 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 16:38 -0500, Mark Kosmowski wrote:

>         I don't think there's anything difficult about setting up rsh,
>         ssh or
>         kerberos for anyone who know how to read a manual. A newbie
>         shouldn't be
>         setting up a cluster in the first place. That's advanced
>         kung-fu best
>         left to the black belts. Letting a neophyte build and run an
>         HPC cluster
>         is some kind of oxymoron.

> I think it would be a disservice to the community to turn away cluster
> newbies from this list.  At the very least encouragement and resource
> links should be provided.

No, no, no Mark. You have it entirely wrong.

Building clusters must be the sole province of a respected and revered
class of worker. Our unique skills must be preserved from overwork, and
lest we become overheated or heaven forbid thirsty during our exacting
labours a bevy of handmaidens (or handsome hunks, depending on your
proclivity) must be on hand to constantly bring us cool beer.
If we are ever seen to appear to have eyes closed and feet up this is a
planning phase for the next masterful and elegant Beowulf configuration.

I myself never travel to site except in the company motorhome with at
least a personal chef and two waitresses. My rider specifies a day bed
next to the machine room, and a bowl of M&Ms.
(Dream on - Ed)