[Beowulf] centos5 as cluster os

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Fri Feb 15 07:38:15 PST 2008

> But if you have users who always want to use the latest and greatest tools
> (gcc, gsl, etc), then you may want to lean towards Fedora.

or compile them yourself.  if you really care about them,
you probably want to anyway.  significant updates don't happen _that_
frequently, though this is obviously less viable for a one-man-cluster
than a center with several admins.

I think fedora could be made to work OK in a cluster, despite its update
rate.  it would do so easier on a cluster which had lots of short jobs.
(our clusters frequently have multi-week jobs, so we tend to update system
stuff less frequently, and centos/rh and derived systems like xc work well.)

I think centos+site-updates is a good model.  if nothing else, users may not
want updates/disruptions as fast as fedora's comes.