[Beowulf] Is this the J. Dongarra of Beowulf fame?

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 24 14:30:45 PST 2008

On 12/24/08 1:56 PM, "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Lux, James P wrote:
>
>> Ran across the following quoted line from a SciGen created paper that was
>> accepted to a conference and is getting some play on slashdot:
>>
>> "We performed a quantized emulation on Intelâ(TM)s mobile telephones to
>> prove the work of Italian mad scientist J. Dongarra.²
>>
>> Recognizing the name, I¹m prompted to ask the real question, is Jack an
>> Italian mad scientist?
>
> Italian I couldn't say -- his name sounds Irish to me.  Mad -- well, he
> didn't act mad in our last conversation.  Not even angry.
>
> Crazy?  Possibly.  All the Irish are Crazy.

I just figured that the authors of SciGen may have had him as a professor,
and this was their not-so-subtle dig at him.

When you spoke with him did he have an Intel mobile phone? Has the effect of
SciGen spread even wider than for submitting papers to conferences with low
standards in exotic locations (how come I never get invitations in my email
to vague multidisciplinary conferences in, say, Elko NV.. Just Orlando and
various other places with nice beaches or other scenery..)