[Beowulf] Not all cores are created equal

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Dec 23 07:21:33 PST 2008

Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> They mention that the AMD NUMA architecture is more complicated and that
> they hope to do future research on it. Not including the AMDs in this
> research lame. Showing the difference in performance between

I am biased in that I know one of the authors.  He and his work is
anything but "lame".  A more appropriate adjective would be "very good".

Science tends to proceed in short papers like this one (I did read it),
and narrow focus, with suggestions on additional work of potential
direct/indirect interest.  Which they (as responsible
scientists/engineers) include.

> architectures - *that* would be meaningful information that we could all
> use. But I guess that leaves the authors an opportunity to publish an
> additional paper on the same topic, so they can list two publications on
> their CVs instead of one.

No.  Think page limits.  We wrote a paper for AINA 2006.  After it was
accepted, we were told we had to whittle down our 12 pages to 6.  For
researchers, this means that you will likely get more papers out of the
work, as a single large tome is less likely to be accepted at the
publication than smaller more focused work.

Given where you work, I would think you would be sensitive to this :) ...

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com