[Beowulf] SSD prices - q: how many writes/erases???

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Dec 18 06:03:19 PST 2008

Jeff Layton wrote:
> Nifty Tom Mitchell wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 04:35:26PM +0100, Peter Jakobi wrote:
>>
>> Sun and Micron recently reported a million plus cycles for a single
>> level flash
>> product.  Current shipping product is on the order of 100000 cycles.
>>

>  From what I understand these were cherry picked parts from
> a normal production run. Has anyone heard if this is a new
> production process or a new concept in SSDs? BTW - Samsung
> has reported 500K rewrites from cherry picked parts.

I thought the Samsung parts were actually a production run (low yield).
  I hadn't heard that they had done a cherry pick on the existing process.

> If they are cherry picked, then it's not really a turning point
> in SSDs. It also bothers me that a normal production run can
> have parts with rewrites at 100K and 1M. Sounds like there
> are some variabilities that can't be controlled.

Similar things happen with RAM.

> Don't forget that 100K rewrites are SLC products and MLC's
> are general 10K. Although the Intel drives state 100K with
> MLC (and pretty decent performance). I'm not sure of the

Hmmm ...
http://www.ritekusa.com/family_ssd.asp?family_id=9&group=2&division_id=4&group_id=Business

I can't find the Intel P/E cycle, but the Ridata units are 2x10^6 (2E+6).

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com