[Beowulf] Can't unload OpenIB kernel modules during a reboot

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Fri Dec 12 09:42:02 PST 2008

When I reboot the nodes in my cluster, the openibd scripts hangs when
shutting down. If I wait long enough(5-10 minutes, probably closer to
10), it eventually completes, or at least fails so the system can
continue shutting down.

If I do 'service openibd stop' before doing the reboot, the openibd
script does it's thing in only a few seconds, as expected:

/etc/init.d/openibd stop
Unloading OpenIB kernel modules:                           [  OK  ]

I'm using a RHEL-rebuild distro (PU_IAS 5.2), the openibd script is part
of the openib package that comes with the distro:

rpm -qf /etc/init.d/openibd
openib-1.3-3.el5

Any ideas why this script would behave differently during a shutdown?

--
Prentice