[Beowulf] SSD prices

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Dec 11 14:28:15 PST 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> I was recently surprised to learn that SSD prices are down in the
> $2-$3 per gbyte range. I did a survey of one brand (OCZ) at NexTag
> and it was:
>
> 256 gigs = $700
> 128 gigs =  300
> 64 gigs =  180
> 32 gigs =   70
>
> Also, Micron is saying that they're going to get into the business of
> PCIe-attached flash, which will give us a second source for what
> Fusion-io is shipping today.
>
> If you're on the "I like a real system disk" side of the
> diskless/diskfull fence, these SSDs ought to be a lot more reliable
> than tradtional disks. And I'd like to get rid of the mirrored
> disks in our developer desktops...

Very useful information, as I'm on the "real system disk" side.  Lagging
real hard disk by what, a decade?  But catching up, and 32 GB is really
plenty anyway, whether for a node or for a workstation, right up to
where you start putting your entire music/movie collection on it.

I'll have to get a 32 GB chip and see if I can boot my laptop from it.
I definitely can boot from USB flash (and carry linux in my pocket
routinely these days:-) and it is down to something like 16 GB for $30.
16 GB is actually the size of / on my current laptop, and a fairly fat
Fedora 9 (lots of games and other stuff to play with and try out) still
leaves 5 GB.

Thanks!

    rgb