[Beowulf] Personal Introduction & First Beowulf Cluster Question

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Dec 8 14:41:00 PST 2008

Hi Joe, Steve, list

Joe Landman wrote:

> Gus Correa wrote:
>
>> That is true.
>> Tell bosses they are asking you to reinvent the Rocks wheel.
>

> Hmmm ....  Rocks isn't everything,

There is no doubt about this ...

> and there are a number of criticisms that certainly could be leveled
> at the system.  I won't go there right now, but it is worth noting,
> just as with Linux != Redhat, Linux Cluster != Rocks clusters.

... or about that either.

The argument here, which was lost on previous emails, is that,
for 5-year old cluster hardware as this one,
from which very high performance is not expected,
Rocks is a quite convenient and cost-effective solution.
It won't take much effort and time to install it out of the box,
have the cluster up and running,
and the basic tools to administer the cluster will be also available,
no major tweaking required.

That is how I maintain a Pentium III little cluster, and my 1993 Honda.  :)
Would you take such a jewel to the dealership for an oil change?

In any case, Steve has a requirement to use SUSE, and this rules Rocks out.

Cheers,
Gus Correa

Gustavo J. Ponce Correa, PhD - Email: gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
P.O. Box 1000 [61 Route 9W] - Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA