[Beowulf] Stroustrup regarding multicore

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Aug 27 19:44:32 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:04:10PM +0200, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> I would go even further. It is definately true that from physics some
> scientists learn programming really well, at the best level i'd say.
> That's not their job however.

Vincent,

I know you're an expert on chess, but I didn't know you were an expert
on employment of physicists, worldwide. In the US there are scientific
programming positions associated with many big projects, and these are
often filled by scientists who happen to be good programmers. So yes,
programming is their job. And many people with real physics jobs have
programming as part of their jobs, too, which was the kind of position
I had back when I was an astronomer.

But what do I know? I figure you're an expert about many things. You
sure sound like one.

-- greg