[Beowulf] Building new cluster - estimate

Matt Lawrence matt at technoronin.com
Thu Aug 7 14:03:53 PDT 2008

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Joe Landman wrote:

> Advantage of modules is you can upgrade them without upgrading the kernel.
> Go ahead, build in that e1000 driver.  I dare yah... :(
>
> More to the point it does give some good flexibility for end users with a
> need to keep the core "separate" from the drivers for maintenance.
>
> Initrd is subtle and quick to anger.  One must use burnt offerings to placate
> the spirits of initrd.

Ok, I am trying to follow your advice.  However, "make rpm" does not
generate a package that includes initrd or updates to /etc/grub.conf.  I
have started looking at how to make that work, but the 9K lines of spec
file for the CentOS kernel rpm are rather daunting.

Since y'all have obviously been dealing with these sorts of problems
longer than I have, I could really use some help here.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.