[Beowulf] Building new cluster - estimate

Matt Lawrence matt at technoronin.com
Wed Aug 6 19:24:00 PDT 2008

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> And even on Linux machines, NFS has been, well, "functional" is a good
> way to describe it.  For its primary original purpose, which is serving
> home directories or remote mount e.g. binaries in midsize and smaller
> workstation LANS, it is adequate and has worked well for us for almost
> ten years (not without some pain, mind you, but with no more pain than
> anythng else).  For the last five or six years even most of the pain has
> gone away and things like automounting work most of the time with only
> rare hangs or stale mount problems (on highly reliable server hardware
> and with a very reliable network).

Youngsters these days.....

I still have painful memories of an environment with too many filesystems
cross mounted between workstations and (at the time big) minicomputers.
All too often someone would shut down a workstation that was serving a
filesystem and everything would crash.  Just like dominos.

Like I said, a sordid history.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.