[Beowulf] fftw2, mpi, from 32 bit to 64 and fortran

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Fri Aug 1 11:23:13 PDT 2008

> I've scourged the net for answers to no avail and the fftw project seems to
> have grinded to a halt. Maybe someone has had this problem and can throw some
> light.

I don't know the status of the project, but fftw is definitely still
widely used, and definitely works in 64b.

> I've coded a small program that reads a vorticity field, uses FFTW2 to send
> it from the physical to the spectral space and then computes its energy
> spectrum. Everything works in my laptop (32 bit, Linux), serial, threaded and
> mpi (using openmpi). In a 64 bit machine the mpi version kaputs. Any
> thoughts?

32-64 problems usually stem from someone conflating ints and pointers.
we have fftw2 installed on all our machines, which are all 64b (for years).
no reports of problems.

did you compile your own fftw2, and if so, did you run the test cases?